Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple is located in the center of Rameshwaram, Tamilnadu. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is one of the four sacred Char Dhams and one of the 12 jyotirlings mandated by Adi Shankracharya. The temple is visited every year by lakhs of Hindus to offer prayers and seek blessings from the God.
Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple has the longest corridor in the world with a total of 1212 pillars. The corridor from East to West is 197 meters and it is 133 meters wide from North-South. The temple also has a Gopuram 38.4 meters tall. the present structure is believed to have been built by the rulers of the Pandya Dynasty around 12th century.
Within the temple, there are separate shrines for Lord Ramanathswami, Goddess Visalakshi, Parvathavardhini, Santanaganpathi, Mahaganapathi, Subrahmanya, Sethumadhava, Mahalaxmi, Natraja and Anjaneya.
According to legend Sri Rama, on his return from Sri Lanka, offered his thanks to Lord Shiva and performed pooja to wash away his sin in killing the Demon King, Ravana. Ram asked Hanuman to bring a Shivling from the Himalayas; however, he got delayed. Sita built a small shivling of sand to worship that became the original Rameshwaram shivalingam.
The island of Rameshwaram contains 64 holy water bodies ( theerthas), of which 24 are considered very important. 22 of these tirthas are present within the temple. The largest and the most important one being the Agni Theertham (Bay of Bengal).