How to Conceive After 40?
It is generally believed that getting pregnant is hard after 40 years of age. This includes difficulty in conception, higher risk of miscarriages and pre-term births, and a high rate of complications during pregnancy.
Several research studies concluded that although the fertility rate decreases with age. Several women can still become pregnant naturally without needing any medical or surgical intervention.
What Decreases Fertility With Advancing Age?
Dr. D Navot conducted a study to ascertain the actual cause of infertility in females over 40 years. He conducted a study on 35 women with a mean age of 42.0 years. After conducting several medical and laboratory test. He found that the ovum related issues are the primary cause of infertility. If the natural ovarian cycle is restored, the woman’s reproductive organs in 40 year olds are competent to bear the pregnancy.
What Are the Chances of Getting Pregnant After 40?
Research data suggest that restoration of the normal balance of female reproductive hormones can help in improving the fertility rate and chances of conception.
Identification and prompt management of factors that may produce an imbalance in the production or metabolism of female hormones can increase the chances of conception.
Few helpful tips in this regard are:
Maintenance of Normal Body Weight
Obesity is a leading cause of infertility and a higher BMI is directly associated with significant alterations in normal ovulation. This is attributed to the changes in the concentration of reproductive hormones as a result of peripheral conversion in adipose tissues. It is important to:
- Avoid vigorous dieting or starvation as the weight loss tool since nutritional irregularities greatly affect the secretion of endocrine hormones.
- Be slow, consistent, and avoid hormonal supplements for weight loss support.
- Perform regular daily physical activity such as fertility yoga that promotes the blood flow to female reproductive organs.
Note: PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) is the leading cause of female infertility that responds significantly to moderate weight loss.
It is very important to study your menstrual cycle and ascertain the fertile period (that is around ovulation or 14th day of a 28 day menstrual cycle). A few helpful tips in the estimation of the ovulation period are:
Monitoring and recording the basal body temperature. You are practicing frequent intercourse at or around the time of ovulation .
Use of ovulation predictor kits that detect changes in the hormonal breakdown products in urine.
- Monitoring the changes in cervical secretion. This will help you in understanding how vulnerable the embryo (your baby) is; before and soon after implantation.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity especially lifting heavyweight, riding stairs, and running.
- Perform intercourse in different positions as long as you and your partner are comfortable (doggy position is most commonly preferred for baby making due to deeper penetration and much deeper delivery of sperms)
Experts suggest massaging uterus is very helpful in enhancing blood supply to the uterus that promotes the development of uterine tissue. Besides massage, fertility cleanse is something that helps in the detoxification process to eliminate toxins and chemicals produced as a result of a hormonal breakdown, medications, and stress mediators released by the body as parts of metabolic processes.
Healthy nourishing fertility supplements include vitamin C, grapefruit juice and seed extract and fresh garlic for optimizing detoxification processes. Herbal remedies have the least side effects and drug interactions as compared to pharmacological agents. Few notable herbal remedies that help in getting pregnant naturally include:
- Saw Palmetto is available in capsular form as over the counter herb and promotes fertility by correcting menstrual irregularities.
- False Unicorn is an ancient Native American herb. It is equally effective in treating male as well as female infertility. Especially effective in women with a history of recurrent miscarriages.
- Red Clover is the most potent and generally used herbal supplement. It serves many functions to enhance female fertility naturally. This includes the correction of hormonal irregularities, detoxification of blood, and delivery of essential vitamins. Do not use this herb if you have a history of major recent surgery or clotting disease.
- Maca was first used by the natives of Peru as a fertility herb. It exerts its actions by improving the sex drive and by non-pharmacological management of female issues like endometriosis and polycystic ovarian disease.
- Vitex is a popular remedy to manage ovarian cysts, menstrual irregularities, and anovulatory cycles. It is most effective when employed in tincture form.
Other popular fertility herbs include Oatstraw, Damiana, Alfalfa, and Red Raspberry Leaf.
Caution: It is highly advisable to speak to a healthcare provider before starting a fertility herb supplement. This is essential because some herbs are cross-react with medications. Other biological agents (like other herbs) leading to serious side effects and deleterious complications.
Diet and Foods
A fertility diet introduces to the nutritional intake of healthy macro and micro-molecules. These help in supplying optimal nutrients for your developing baby and expanding uterus. At the same time, the caloric intake should be sufficient to supply enough energy to your body without causing excessive weight gain.
Increase your intake of vegetables like cauliflower, beans, and broccoli. Consume healthy and wholesome soups and abstain from caffeinated beverages and alcohol.
Moreover consume more superfoods that are nutrient-dense but low in calories. Increase the intake of vegetables and fruits like
- green pepper
- bell pepper,
A well-planned fertility diet helps in revitalizing the tissues and cells, helps in eradication of toxins, and prevents free radical damage to sensitive cells and tissues.
Eggs are helpful in supplying you with all the essential proteins and amino acids along with choline and other micronutrients.
Salad supplies enough nutrients, vitamins, fiber, minerals, and hydration.
Selenium and vitamin E supplementation are very helpful in improving the vitality of sperms. Selenium has long been known to protect sperms for oxidative and free radical damage. Intake of supplements like iron, calcium, and selenium helps maintain the vitality and functionality of sperms in the female genital tract.
Other effective supplements that are advised to females above 40 years of age are iron and folate due to mild to moderate subclinical anemia. Moreover, folate is convenient in preventing neural tube defects that are fairly common in babies born to women above 35 years of age.
Calcium and Vitamin D are also advised in recommended doses. Other great choices include lipoic acid, L-Carnitine, L–arginine, and grapeseed extract.
Fertiliaid for women is an expert-approved and ObGyn-recommended supplement designed to increase fertility and improve reproductive health. It helps to promote female hormonal balance and reproductive wellness, supporting fertility, and optimize a woman’s chances of conceiving.
What To Do To Improve Your Chances of Conception?
- Increase your water intake as water helps in keeping your tissues hydrated and healthy, it also helps in decreasing your cravings and unnecessary calorie intake by suppressing appetite.
- Increase the intake of antioxidants that neutralize or kill free radicals; thereby protects the egg from damage.
- Stress, anxiety, and worry can alter the concentration and production of different neurotransmitters and mediators in the body. This eventually affects female reproductive hormones and blood supply to reproductive organs. Meditation or the use of fertility hypnosis is to reduce stress. It also improves your chances of getting pregnant naturally.
What To Avoid?
A report published in renowned scientific journal Obstetrics & Gynecology journal. They suggests that mere lifestyle and diet modification can improve the chances of conception in 80% of the females above 40 years. Who poverty a gross systemic or organic issue interfering with getting pregnant.
When you are trying to conceive. You should not intake of caffeine and caffeine containing beverages as caffeine stimulate the smooth muscles of the body.
Other helpful tips include:
- Avoid sugary beverages and candies that increase blood sugar levels and create a state of academia that interferes with conception. Moreover, sperms are less likely to survive and maintain its functions like motility in an acidic environment.
- You should strictly avoided alcohol. It breakdown metabolic.
- You should avoid inorganic and processed foods. These are high in toxins and chemicals.
For best results, consult with a fertility specialist to know more about the helpful tips that may increase your chances of getting pregnant.